Monday 6 September 2010

Wednesday 1st September HAIRCUT

Today is the day I was first given for my surgery. Unfortunately it was cancelled.
Today I went to get my hair cut..... I was so scared because my hair is my crowning glory but knew I had to be pratical.
I asked Dave to take some pictures of my lovely long hair before I went so I could do the before and after shots..... He was so supportive, bless him because he has always loved my long hair.... he even took the camera with us when we went to get my hair cut so he could get some photo's while I was having my hair cut.
We went into the hairdressers and noticed that the woman we had spoken to yesterday wasn't there, but there was a young hairdresser who was wearing a pink breast cancer awareness bracelet and ribbon, we spoke to her and explained that I was due to have a mastectomy and needed to have my hair cut, and I also told her it was a very emotional thing for me to do and I would probably get quite upset, but that wouldn't be because she was doing anything wrong, it would be because of the situation.
I sat down in the seat and she started to section my hair and cut it.... I was ok to start with until she got to the side, and when I saw the ends of my hair swinging around my shoulders, the tears started to roll down my face, and the more hair she cut, the more I cried.... I felt so sorry for the poor girl and kept trying to apologise, but she was brilliant and said breast cancer affected her family she had lost one of her aunts to breast cancer and another of her Aunts was a breast cancer survivor.
She did such a good job on my hair and even gave Dave a big handful of my long hair from the floor so he could save it.
When she had finished, we tried to pay for the hair cut, and she wouldn't take any payment at all, Dave even tried to give her some money to get herself a drink...... but she was adamant that she didn't want any money.... She wished me luck and told me if I wanted it trimming or sorting for chemo to go and see her..... she was lovely.
We went back in half an hour later and took her a lovely bunch of flowers, at first she wasn't going to accept them until I explained to her that she had made a very traumatic experience a lot more painless and restored my faith in people
Then I went home and cried my eyes out..... everybody says it looks lovely and takes years off me... but I am still trying to get used to it..... no doubt I will learn to live with it.
It made me realise how important a woman's hair is to her....... And how cancer  seems to take away the very essence of our femininity.... But I refuse to let it... I am not a victim.... 
I am a woman who happens to have breast cancer and short hair.

4 comments:

  1. Caz, You are truly a remarkable woman. To speak of the things and traumas you are going through is so commendable. I only knew you for a short time whilst working on Discovery Radio, I will be following this blog closely and with my fingers crossed for you. My wife recently had to have a full hystorectomy due to ovarian cancer and fortunately it seems they got there in time.

    Your story is a inspiration to me and i'm sure many women out there who are going through the same.

    God bless you

    I know dave will be with you all the way and regardless what happens, he will always be there for you.

    Love

    Neil (Nelly)

    P.S excuse the blogger name

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caz,
    Hope you found making this blog a helpful experience,its also handy to recall dates and events in the future.Gosh your hair was long but you still look fab.This horrible thing can change our bodies and change our lives but it wont change our spirit.
    Stay strong and good luck tomorrow.
    Rose xxx (C Chat)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caz,
    Amazing story from an amazing lady...these blogs are different from the cancer chat as seems to go deeper into feelings etc. We are with you on your journey..I never quite understood that phrase when I first started out and at first it used to irritate me slightly when people said it as I used to think 'How can you be with me' - friends I have met on cancer chat made me realise that people can be with you and not close in proximity but close in spirit. Stay strong dear Caz!

    Your husband sounds cool and is going to support you through this :-)

    Much Love

    Tony

    (tonysong)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and by the way, I live 40 miles away in Matlock, small world :-) T

    ReplyDelete