Saturday 4 September 2010

6th August.... Jasmine suite

I arrived at the Jasmine suite on Friday 6th August, I was ok, not too worried because this didn't feel like a lump, it felt like a swollen milk gland, but I thought, let them check, it'll be fine.... 
The staff were really good, we got showed into a little room, and in a couple of minutes, a lovely lady doctor came in, she took a few details and then gave me a gown and asked me to undress, which I did, then she asked me to lay on a bed so she could examine my breasts...... she pulled a curtain across between us and my husband..... (did she not think he'd seen my boobs before.. lol ) she examined both my breast and told me I would have to have a mammogram just to be sure, My husband went back into the waiting room and a nurse took me round to another waiting area with lots of other women, after about 30 minutes I went in and had a mammogram, then it was back in the waiting area again.... nurses kept coming through and taking other ladies back through to the other area, but I just sat there, the a nurse came out and called my name.... I thought, this is me, but she took me into another room and said they needed and utlrasound scan, they scanned my right breast and under my arm, then told me they needed to do a biopsy (I started to get worried) They took 2 biopsies and then sent me back out to the waiting area, I looked at the clock and realised that I had been in that waiting area for nearly 2 hours... finally, A nurse came and called my name, and she took me back round to the little room that I saw the doctor in and she asked me if I wanted her to get my husband for me... I said Yes please, so when she went and got him as I got dressed, and we sat down waiting for the doctor to come back.
The minute the doctor walked back in accompanied by a nursing sister we could see by the look on her face that there was something wrong, she sat down and very tactfully told us that when she first examined me, she thought it was just a fatty lump, but by looking at the mammogram and ultrasound, they were very worried. Dave (my husband) said to the doctor, "I lost my mum to breast cancer 33 years ago, so we don't want any long fancy words, we just want to know straight.... I won't hold you to it or anything but in your personal opinion, what do you think it is"?
She looked him straight in the eye and said "I think your wife has breast cancer but we have to wait for the results of the biopsies to know for sure!" The nursing sister went to the reception desk and made me an appiontment for the following tuesday.
We just said thank you and went home... Shocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment