Monday 4 October 2010

Monday 20th September

Today is the day I am supposed to get my drains taken out, even though they were really full yesterday (over 300ml in each) and they are pretty full today as well (250ml in each) but they are so uncomfortable that I just want rid of them..... the district nurse has been coming everyday to empty them, but I'm hoping when the drains come out I will be able to get comfortable and maybe finally get a decent nights sleep.
the district nurse turns up, her name is Sue, I try to tell her that there is still loads of fluid in the drains, but she's not interested, as far as she is concerned... the drains come out today! Well she's the nurse, she knows what she's doing..... at least that's what I think until she asks me if I have a stitch cutter.... "What the hell would I be doing with a stitch cutter?"
Sue starts getting everything she needs sorted and even manages to find a stitch cutter of her own, then she says we are ready to start,
Dave comes and holds my hand as neither of us has ever had drains so we don't really know what to expect, but it was surprisingly pain free, but it was definitely one of the wierdest feelings when she cut the stitch holding the tube just below my dressings, the she started to pull the tube out, I was expecting it just to pop right out of the little hole... i certainly didn't expect to feel it moving just below my collar bone, and then I felt it as it moved down my chest until if finally came out.... what a strange experience, I think the only thing I can think of to compare it to was when I was pregnant and the baby kicked, a movement inside your body somewhere you are not expecting it to be.... after that Sue put a little dressing over the hole the pipe had left, and then repeated the process on the other side.
But.. "Oh my god," did I feel better after they were out, but it took a bit of getting used to, not having my 2 little bags everywhere with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment